Columbian Elementary  Logo
Our Team History
Resources School Resources Teacher Resources
Get Involved Schoolwide Program Plan (Building Level)

History

The first Columbian Elementary School was constructed in 1892 on Chestnut Street in Carthage.  It was built for $6,000.00 and was a model school for many others that were to be built in neighboring towns.

The school had four rooms in 1899.  Nellie McCarty served as principal with teachers, Grace Hutcheson, Edna Gladden and Ethel Cragin.

The first Columbian PTA was formed in 1915.  Mrs. R. N. Kirby was elected as its first president.

Until 1920 Columbian was a 4-grade school when it added two additional grades to relieve the crowded conditions in the Carthage School District.

In the early 1950’s many became concerned with the poor condition of the school and the PTA began a campaign for a new building. 

In November 1955 a bond issue was passed and a contract was awarded for $166,752 for the construction of a new building.  The school was built on 40-acres with only 10 acres actually being used for the school grounds.  Columbian School has continued to make additions to its building and changes continue.  After providing instruction for grades Kindergarten – 6 grade students Columbian, in 2009, returns to a 4-grade school.  This has been made possible with the construction of a new high school and the development of a middle school for grades five and six.